Monday, November 10, 2014

Urban Decay Ten 24/7 Glide on Pencil Set Brings the Sparkle to My Eyes...literally

Hi everyone!

It is no secret that I love holiday make up sets. Urban Decay releases new eyeliner sets each holiday season,and this year I decided to go out and get the Ten 42/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil Set ($52 at Sephora and ULTA). I have about 4 UD eyeliners I have picked up over the years, but I felt like it was time I expanded my collection. This set has 9 travel sized new shades (Glitter Rock, Moonspoon, Vacancy, Faint, Gonzo, Smokeout, Mugshot, Stargazer, Voodoo), a full sized Perversion eyeliner and the Grind House sharpener. What I really like about this set is that UD included both neutrals and bright, statement colors and also a variety of finishes, from matte to satin to glittery pencils. So if you break things down, a full sized Perversion eyeliner is $20 alone! That is almost half the price of the entire set. On top of it, the Grind House sharpener is $10. So that leaves $22 for the 9 travel sized eyeliners, which is $2.44 a pencil. When I say travel size, they actually aren't that much smaller than the actual full sized pencil, 0.03 oz to 0.04 oz.

This set is a real beauty. Look at all those colors! You get so much stuff from this set. My only complaint, which really isn't a big one, is that these little suckers were so difficult to remove from the packaging! UD packed them all in good. I had to take the end of a pen and dig each of these pencils and the sharpener out of their respective grooves. I appreciate the sturdy and shockproof packaging, but it was a bit frustrating to try to pull all of the items out. In particular, the Grind House sharpener did not want to leave it's old home. The sharpener can be disassembled into three parts and as I tried to remove the sharpener, I could only take one section at a time out, as you can see below.


Other than that, I can't really complain. As a whole, the pencils were creamy and a joy to work with. I have heard complaints that some of the shades are not as pigmented as you would expect from UD eyeliners, but I think it is perfectly fine because it just gives a different look. In fact, the shades that are less pigmented are actually my favorite shades. 

So onward! To the swatches!

(Left to Right) Glitter Rock, Moonspoon, Vacancy, Faint, Gonzo, Smokeout, Mugshot, Stargazer, Voodoo, Perversion


Glitter Rock



It is a glittery, mauve-y bronze. This has to be my absolute favorite pencil in the set. It is also one of the less pigmented shades. I love lining my lower lash with this color to give a glittery, almost natural look. It is sheer but it can be layered up for a more densely. Glitter Rock went on smoothly and gave off plenty of glitter; however, I think there could be just a little more glitter. For something called Glitter Rock, I just expected it to have chunks of glitter, but maybe it's just me.


Moonspoon



It is a greyish black sparkle. My second favorite! I think everyone can agree that the name is a lot of fun to say. This is also not as pigmented as expected, but I like it that way as well. It reminds me of a sparkly Ether in the way that it gives that almost faded black look. I don't have Ether to compare it to, though, unfortunately. I don't mind that it isn't a dark black because UD included Perversion in this kit, and that is the blackest of the black eyeliners. I like using Moonspoon as an intermediate color to add definition to my lower lash line or to create a more natural, sparkly look. Again, I want more glitter! But, I think if they added any more glitter to these eyeliners, it would be gritty. This pencil applied smoothly and can be built up.


Vacancy


This is a metallic, bluish teal. No sparkles in here. I love teal liners and this one was pigmented and smooth. Compared to Junkie, which is a teal I have, Vacancy is a brighter blue and lacks the sparkles of Junkie.
Junkie Left, Vacancy Right


Faint


Faint is a matte, light brown. The first neutral of the kit. Since it's matte, it will work on the water line.


Gonzo



A bright cool blue with silver microglitter. This is pretty much the color that made me want this kit. It is smooth and pigmented. I really like how it is a statement blue. I have navy blues and royal blues but this is the first bright blue I have. I wore this shade smudged on my lids as a cream shadow. It did not crease. Very impressed with the color and staying power.


Smokeout



Smokeout is a dark chocolate brown with some silver microglitter. The second neutral. I like how UD included a light brown, Faint, and then this darker brown. It went on smoothly and is pigmented.


Mugshot


Mugshot is a metallic medium brown. This is my favorite neutral. It applies like a dream! Of all the pencils, this one was the creamiest and most pigmented. 


Stargazer



This is a metallic yellow-gold. If there is a color that was the least pigmented, it would be this color. As you can see in the swatch, it seems a bit sheer. It still went on smoothly. I like using this smudged out in the inner corners of my eyes as a highlight. It works really well there. As compared to El Dorado, Stargazer is a lighter and cooler gold.

El Dorado Left, Stargazer Right


Voodoo



Voodoo is a purple with microglitter. It is not as glitter packed as Moonspoon or Glitter Rock, but the glitter is there. Of all the pencils, this was probably the one that disappointed me the most. It goes on a little streaky but it does build up to opacity.  It's a really lovely color, especially in direct light. I own Ransom, which is also a shimmery purple. Voodoo is a deeper purple and leans more towards red than Ransom, though.
Ransom Left, Voodoo Right


Perversion


Perversion is a matte black. This is amazing! It went on like butter and was so jet black. After swatching all the other pencils, I have to say, Perversion was creamier than all the rest except maybe Mugshot. I am so glad this pencil is a full size. 

In case you were wondering how big of a difference in product you are getting between the travel sized and the normal sized pencils. Here's an idea.


I know some might be disappointed that not all of these colors are as pigmented as Perversion, but I think each shade is great the way it is. They all go on smoothly and last a long time. So even without being intensely pigmented, there are still great uses for these colors. I did have some trouble removing these colors from my arm as I swatched them as they stained a little, but I did not have a problem with them on my lids. They all easily lasted a full 8 hours.

What do you think? Do you mind the pigmentation? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Copyright © Havenly Makeup 2014. All rights reserved. Designed By Colette